Wednesday, April 19, 2017

On Music

On Music

I love music. I love listening to it. I love when it is played. I love that I can hear different notes and hear the emotion in a song, with or without words. Listening to music is one of my favourite things and I find that the experience actually can bring me closer to God. 

I am so thankful that God has gifted people to be musicians that can play instruments and string together notes into a song form. I say this because this is not me. I do not believe that I am one of those people that can do this. 

I have been taking this class called the “Fundamentals of Music” as part of the General Education portion of my Bachelor of Arts degree. I am having quite a difficult time working through some of this course work because learning theory is a complex subject. To know the difference between majors, minors, sharps, flats, harmonic and melodic scales, along with tones, timing, rhythms, melodies, and the sort I have found tough to navigate. 

I believe this for a couple reasons. For one, the format of the schooling makes it hard to ask questions when the book is the teacher. The way this schooling is set up is through correspondence. Second, the speed at which I am trying to the course (want to complete in a month). Lastly, this is the first time I am really diving into music. 

I am trying to not complain but simply help you understand where I am coming from in regard to music. I do love it, but I am having a hard time understanding it. 

This is where I am glad that Paul describes the church as the body of Christ. He gives me comfort that we do not all need to be musicians. If we were all musicians where would the care takers be? Or the preachers? 

This was hard for me a few years back when looking at getting a Youth Pastor job. It seemed like everyone wanted a youth pastor that could play guitar and sing. I don't do those things and it made job searching very hard. 

But Paul gives encouragement that we are not all the same and that God gives different gifts for different roles. Personally, because I like to listen to music, I feel most comfortable behind the soundboard. I do not need to know how notes work but rather how it should sound as a whole and I love that! If you ask a musician they will tell you how important it is to have a good sound person! 

So maybe you are a musician. For that I thank God! You have an amazing talent. I encourage you to pursue your instrument with all your might. 


Maybe you are not a musician. I want to let you know that it is ok. You are not less of a Christian because you cannot play a guitar around a campfire. God did not gift you with that and it is ok! Pursue what he has gifted you with, whatever it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment